Due to current circumstances, auditions will need to be submitted through video.
See below for specific instructions.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if unable to make this audition deadline.
Click on the link below to register by Fri, August 7.
What to Expect
VIDEO AUDITIONS DUE Friday, August 7:
Due to the current circumstances, auditions will be done by video recording instead of in person. Use the audio and PDF files provided directly below. The audio files will guide the vocal student through the audition, and the PDF provides additional written materials for ALL auditionees. Please print the PDF or have it available on an electronic device before recording.
INSTRUMENTAL VIDEO AUDITION PROCEDURES:
VOCAL VIDEO AUDITION PROCEDURES:
1)Vocal Range Exercise ~ For Recording
2)Pitch Retention/Call & Response Exercise ~ For Recording
3) Vocal Harmony~For Recording
LIVE AUDITIONS: Fall 2021 and beyond
- We begin each audition with prayer. We want to invite the Lord's presence in the audition and desire the students to honor Him with their best.
- We will ask some questions about prior experience/training.
- Play/sing song #1 & #2 of student's choosing. (Tim and Sarah play/sing along with students on instruments that they are not playing or will harmonize with the singer.)
- If a vocalist, students will need to sing harmony on the chorus of the songs prepared as Tim or Sarah take over the lead.
- Pitched Instrumentalists need to be able to play scales in standard keys (C, D, E, G, B, F, A, etc)
- Vocalists will be asked to sing a warm-up to determine vocal range and echo pitches played or sung to them
- Drummers may be asked to create a fill or play a few measures in a different time signature or emphasize hi-hat, kick bass, etc.
- Directors may suggest a musical change; showing the student how to make this adjustment to determine skill level.
Worship Band Auditions
Each student auditioning, whether vocalist or instrumentalist, needs to prepare 2 songs.
OPTION 1) You may select 2 out of the 4 song options listed below. Please select the 2 worship songs that best display your abilities.
OPTION 2)You must select 1 song from below and you may prepare a worship song of your choice that is not listed here, that best reveals your strengths. PLEASE BRING 2 ADDITIONAL CHARTS of the song you select that is NOT on this list TO YOUR AUDITION.
Vocalists: Two of the songs are female led, (Who You Say I Am & Forever) and two are male led, (Crowns & Your Love Awakens Me).
- Print out 1 or 2 of the 4 attached charts below (pdf files) to study.
- Bring your charts with you to your audition, along with your own personal added notes.
- Print, fill-out, and bring to your audition the STUDENT PROFILE. (Found at the bottom of this page.)
- Prepare for the audition by reviewing the Audition Procedures (below)
- Tim and Sarah will fill in with the other vocal and instrumental parts during your audition. (We will already have these charts.)
- Tim and Sarah will play and/or sing with you during your audition on an instrument that you are not playing and will also have you sing/play some alone.
- Each audition will last around 15 minutes.
- You will be notified within one week of your audition regarding your placement in a worship band.
Song Writing Evaluations
- Students who audition for a worship band do not need to prepare a separate evaluation for song writing.
- Students may prepare a song of their choice or may prepare 1 chart from the 4 selections below. If the student has written an original song, we highly encourage them to present this song for the evaluation.
- Bring a copy of the music/chart that you decide to play/sing for your evaluation.
- Also, print, fill-out and bring to your audition the STUDENT PROFILE.
- Evaluating students do not need to fill the requirements of the audition procedures. We will not expect students being evaluated for songwriting to play scales, harmonize, etc as stated on the audition expectations.
- You will be notified by email within one week of your audition regarding your placement in the song writing class.